How did we go from…
Women have been manipulated through the media for decades. Women have had to deal with sexism for hundreds of years but with the advent of television, the social quo has been able to change and adapt quicker than ever. Susan Douglas states in her book “Where the Girls Are” that women have been told by the media how they should act and what to do. That patriarchy is being reinforced and feminism gets a negative connotation. It’s almost as if the freethinking woman is an endangered species. I’d like to briefly look the early days of television where classic shows like “I Love Lucy” and “The Honeymooners” glorified women in the household and depicted men as the breadwinners and heads of the household, all the way up to modern times, where as Ms. Douglas said “girls are defined by their bodies” looking at Married…With Children, The Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men and many others. I also want to look at some of the products being advertised on television, marketed to women today. At the same time I want to make connections between television and real life repercussions. Not only will I look at eating disorders and low self-esteem but I plan on discussing the taboos that are the obsession of no body hair and sex, and look at the correlation between increased depictions of sex in television, unplanned pregnancies and the divorce rate.
Script: Influential Media
1. Susan Douglas, Where The Girls Are, (New York: Random House, 1995).
2. “Out of Wedlock.” Christian Century, April 17, 2013, 16.
3. Tiggemann, Marika, and Suzanna Hodgson. “The Hairlessness Norm Extended.” Springer Science. (2008): 889-896.
4. John Berger , Ways Of Seeing, (London: Penguin Books, 1973),.
5. Haas, Cheryl, Laura Pawlow, Jon Pettibone, and Dan Segrist. “An Intervention For The Negative Influence of Media on Body Esteem.” College Student Journal. : 405-415.
6. National Eating Disorder Association, “nationaleatingdisorders.org.” Accessed March 24, 2014. http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/get-facts-eating-disorders.
7.= “Married… With Children,” Web, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spIrhYfwi5c.
8. “Seinfeld,” Web, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLSXjYKyGgU.
9. Rogers, Fred, “Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood,” It’s You I Like, Web, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-DsZMKYXzI.
10. Threes Company
11. I Love Lucy
12. The Honeymooners
13. I Dream of Jeannie
15. Gilligan’s Island
16. All in the Family
17. The Jefferson’s
19. Wonder Woman
20. Murphy Brown
21. The Cosby Show
23. The Big Bang Theory
24. Two and a Half Men
25. Teen Mom
26. 16 and Pregnant