Diversity in the Newsroom
Making keen observations are essential to successful journalism. While making observations about the people tasked with delivering the news to the public on a daily basis, it’s easy to see a common denominator, lack of diversity. This could be attributed to a myriad of different reasons and theories, all of which will be covered in this case study. The purpose of this case study is to inform on the topic and have the reader decide if the research provided leads credence to the notion of lack of diversity in television news and the journalism field as a whole. This case study is an updated continuation of research that has transpired over the past few months and has extended to include a unique inside perspective by myself, having worked at CNN throughout the Spring semester.
The rest of the case study can be accessed by clicking the link below.
- Stelter, Brian: “Top of the Morning: Inside the Cutthroat World of Morning TV,” (5 May 2013}
- Bet.com: The Dwindling Black Anchor Stable at CNN, Cord Jefferson (27 February 2013)
- Huffington Post: Soldedad O’Brien, ’Morning Show Didn’t Have A Lot of Support,’ Jack Mirkinson, (22 February 2013)
- SPJ.org: ‘Journalism Educators Must Leap Diversity Hurdles,’ Sally Lehrman;
- Poynter.org: ‘NABJ: Where’s The Diversity in Network News,’ Jim Romenesko; (28 June 2011)
- Poynter.org: ‘Glenn Proctor: Journalism Associates Need to Help Online Outlets Hire for Diversity’ Angie Chuang; (15 April 2011)
- Mediate.com: ‘MSNBC’s Phil Griffin on 60% Black Audience Gain in 2012,’ Tommy Christopher; (7 January 2013)
- TheRoot.com: ‘4 Questions with T. Holmes,’ Akoto Ofori-Atta; (8 December 2011)
- Lee Bailey’s Eurweb: ‘TJ Holmes on New BET Gig and Why He Left CNN,’ Cherie Saunders; (23 August 2012)
- Mediabistro: ‘Salt Lake City’s First Black Anchor? Hired This June,’ Kevin Eck; (14 October 2013)
- Nielsen.com: Top Tens & Trends; Category; TV Shows
- News.BBC.co.uk: About BBC News; Profiles
- Politico: ‘CNN to Launch New Morning Show,’ Dylan Byers;